The Hobbit
J.R.R. Tolkien
Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1
Andrea Speed
The Chaos of Stars - Kiersten White In high school my favourite class was ancient history. I loved learning about the Egyptian culture and different gods. So when I had the chance to read The Chaos of Stars I was intrigued. I haven’t read any of Kiersten White’s other books so I didn’t know what to expect. The Chaos of Stars was a bit different from other fantasy books I have read. You are immediately brought into this old world with Isis and Osiris and their various family members.Isadora is Isis and Osiris’ human teenage daughter. Every twenty years Isis has a new child. Somehow Isis and Osiris sire a human child. This is never explained to us how two gods make a human, but we are just to assume it makes sense. Isadora has some serious issues with her family.My parents brought me into the world to die. They didn't love me enough to keep me forever- they didn't even pretend like they did.For most of the book there is a lot of self-loathing. Isadora felt used by her parents and cannot forgive them for being immortal and not making her a god.Parenthood is selfish. There’s no reason to bring a child into the world other than that you want one for your own self-centered reasons.I ran out of that horrible room. For the first time in my life I did understand. All of the stories, the histories I’d been raised on? I had no part in them. My parents brought me into the world to die. They didn’t love me enough to keep my forever.Her self-loathing came across as extremely whiny in the first bit of the book. I get that she hate her parents and her father can’t remember her name, but let’s move on. Not everything is about you. At times Isadora could come across as juvenile, especially when she was talking about her brother, Horus (or Whore-us), and his wife Hathor, goddess of beer and sex. She despised Hathor because she liked to drink and was constantly “sexed up”. Of course she was Hathor is the goddess of those things.Finally Isadora has an opportunity to leave Egypt and go to San Diego to live with her brother. When she finds out that her brother, Sirius has a wife, Denna, and a baby on the way she is rude to Deena and can’t believe her brother would do this to her.On the inside I am screaming, spinning in dizzy circles, bedding my Egyptian prison farewell forever, because one thing is certain: Once I make it out of her, I am never, ever coming back. I will no longer be a temporary guest checked into the Hotel of the Gods.I loved Ry. He was gorgeous and wrote epic poetry. How could you not love someone who spews this:I didn’t fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do things that we’d choose anyway. And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.The ending is quick predictable, but I think this would be a good book for younger teens as it was an easy and quick read, but Isadora would probably frustrate a lot of people.