The Hobbit
J.R.R. Tolkien
Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1
Andrea Speed
Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains) - Laurie Boyle Crompton This was a great debut novel. The main character, Blaze, named after Ghost Rider's Johnny Blaze, is very likeable. She makes the mistake of falling for Mr. Popular, aka Mark the Shark. Only to have him betray her after losing her virginity to him, and then he posts a sext she accidentally sent him on the Internet.I think a lot of young girls will relate to the main character even if they aren't die hard comic book fans. As she is your average teenage girl with regular problems (absent father, a crush who has no idea she is alive, annoying sibling, etc). At times it was a bit predictable, but it was the predictability that resonated with me. While her crush on Mr. Popular, aka Mark, was obvious, I feel it was more the second male love interest, Mr. Comic Book Guy, that was the most predictable. The fallout of her sext becoming public showed who her friends were. The meek boy who was crushing on her even becomes one of the bullies insulting her in public.I really enjoyed the banter between Blaze and her younger brother's soccer team, the Cretins. Even as much as they annoy her throughout the novel they came through for her in the end. The end wrapped everything up nicely, but not too perfect.